To celebrate the fortieth anniversary of Derek & The Dominos album Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs, which is released in deluxe edition on March 29th a competition has been launched on Facebook encouraging fans to submit a video of themselves playing the iconic riff from the classic track Layla.
Fans of the classic, budding guitar virtuosos and the musical minded alike are all invited to submit their own versions of one of the most iconic riffs in rock music history.
The entries will be judged by founding member Bobby Whitlock and original engineer Andy Johns, to win a super collector’s edition of the album and one-off canvas of the artwork for this special release.
To take part in the ‘Layla Riff’ competition simply go to the Derek & The Dominos Facebook page and sign up, then follow these easy steps:
1) Record yourself on video playing the classic solo to ‘Layla’.
2) Upload your video to YouTube or Vimeo.
3) Join the Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/DerekAndTheDominosOfficial
4) Post your video link on the Derek and the Dominoes official Facebook page wall.
5) The winner will be contacted by private message on April 3rd
The SUPER DELUXE EDITION highlights include:
• Newly remastered and expanded 2-CD set of Derek and the Dominos: In Concert, recorded at the Fillmore East and remastered from the original master tapes.
• Reamastered high-fidelity, 180-gram reproduction of the original vinyl double album,
• A hardcover book, artfully designed with rare and never-seen photographs, and featuring four meticulously researched essays by noted music historian and author Ashley Kahn fashioned from new interviews with Bobby Whitlock, Allman Brothers drummer Butch Trucks, engineer Andy Johns, producer Albhy Galuten, guitarist Derek Trucks; plus historic interviews with Eric Clapton, Duane Allman, and producer Tom Dowd.
• Pop-up 3-D artwork and a high quality Layla art print based on the oil painting that graced the original album cover – “La Fille Au Bouquet” by Emile Theodore Frandsen de Schomberg – which has achieved cultural significance in its own right.
Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs is one of the most steadfastly revered musical treasures of its era. Its famous title track is still hailed as an essential rock guitar anthem, a signature tune of rock’s leading guitar hero, Eric Clapton.
Recorded in 1970 by Derek and the Dominos, the group was comprised of Clapton and top American musicians Bobby Whitlock, Carl Radle and Jim Gordon. Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs music offers a timeless blend of rock, electric blues and Southern gospel influences that has shaped generations of roots-oriented musicians and music fans.
The competition will be open for submission till April 3rd with the winner announced week commencing April 4th.
Look out for the Buzzin Music Review of Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs and more chances to win a copy of this essential recording.